Our Negara-Ku Movement is two weeks old today. It lives vibrantly. It develops daily.
We look back at our very short history and know with certainty that even as we aroused the ire of some by our very existence, we also raised the hopes of many.
Little were we to know then, when we launched this movement, that the onslaught would be fast and furious.
Our name was challenged. One of our patrons received continuing verbal attacks. Our charter was misinterpreted and what we stood for was twisted.
Thankfully, we weathered the storms.
The support we continue to receive from people from all walks of life is a sturdy reminder to us that they see the Negara-Ku movement as being here to add value: to help heal and rebuild a nation already ripped apart.
- We are very encouraged that at the time of our launch, 68 NGOs had endorsed our charter. Since then, another 17 have joined us, making a total of 85 NGOs in the movement today. We would like to inform other NGOs wishing to join the movement to send an email to our Secretariat at [email protected]. Alternatively, they can write to us at Negara-Ku People’s Movement, c/o GBM Secretariat, No. 1, Jln Maharajalela, 50150 Kuala Lumpur (Tel: 03 2272 3594/Fax: 03 2272 4089) and the Secretariat will revert in due course.
- What is extremely heartening, too, is that many individuals have expressed an interest in joining the movement. They have asked how they can become members. We wish to clarify that with the Negara-Ku movement there is no question of membership. You do not have to apply for membership. Just get involved and you are already part of the movement. It does not matter whether you live in the city or out of town. If you fully subscribe to the Negara-Ku aspirations and are willing to do real work within it to reclaim our nation, help restore the rakyat’s hopes and beliefs, you are half-way there.
- We are confident that the greater majority of Malaysians share the ideals of the Negara-Ku movement, but for too long have remained silent, allowing the few divisive voices in our midst to dominate our public space. Each of us must therefore do our part to take back this space. It is important that as each of us reaches out to spread the message of the Negara-Ku initiative, we know that we are not alone. We therefore would like you to not only connect with us at the Negara-Ku secretariat, but with those in your neighbourhood, your town or your kampung who, like you, share the Negara-Ku ideals.
- With this in mind, we have created an online form that you can send to the Negara-Ku secretariat to let us know about yourself and your interest to join the movement. Someone from the Secretariat will be in touch with them soon after.
Inclusion of Sabah and Sarawak
We are grateful to have Tan Sri Simon Sipaun as one of our patrons. One of our deepest wishes is for our brothers and sisters who reside on the other side of the South China Sea to realize all that was intended for Sabah and Sarawak under the Malaysia Agreement. Together, we can work towards bringing about the justice they so dearly need and which we so dearly want for them. Our efforts in taking the message of unity and hope out to Sabah and Sarawak will begin after the Hari Raya holidays. More details of this will be made available at a later date.
Negara-Ku Material for Circulation
- We are pleased to announce that our charter has been translated into several languages – the original in Bahasa Malaysia, with English, Mandarin, Tamil, Iban and Kadazan translations. All are available on the Negara-Ku Facebook page and in Rakyat Times.
- The video that we produced and played at our launch is also available online here and on the Negara-Ku Facebook page.
- A second Negara-Ku video, containing our Hari Raya message to the rakyat, has just been completed. This can be viewed here.
Strategies and Alliances
We urge all who share in the aspirations of this movement and want to be a part of it to begin our Negara-Ku work this Hari Raya. For those going back to their respective hometowns at this time, please do the following:
- Download and print our charter and distribute to family and friends back home;
- Download and burn the two videos on DVDs and distribute the same.
Let’s help people better understand what the Negara-Ku People’s Movement is about, and by doing so we will be working towards defending the truth
This Hari Raya season, as with other festive seasons in this country, spending time with family, relatives and friends is paramount. Even in the midst of our own togetherness, may we all spare a thought for those who lost their lives in the MH370 and MH17 tragedies and pray for their families and friends whose grief is inconsolable.
May our poor brothers and sisters here and in Sabah and Sarawak, for whom life is a daily struggle to survive, not be forgotten too.
Let us also remember that our young, our heritage, have no power or voice to shape this country. That responsibility rests squarely on our shoulders, a duty we must not shirk.
In the Spirit of One People, One Nation
In the spirit of One People, One Nation, we wish our Muslim brothers and sisters Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri, Maaf Zahir & Batin. May all have a safe journey and a meaningful time with their loved ones.