Call for Nominations
SUARAM HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD 2011
Deadline: 16 November 2011
Initiated in 1999 on the 10th anniversary celebration of SUARAM, this annual award seeks to give recognition to local communities and collectives in their outstanding and inspiring endeavors to protect and promote human rights activism in Malaysia.
This year, 11 years after the inaugural award was presented in 1999, SUARAM once again calls for nominations for this award.
Previous winners have been diverse in their causes, but all of them have overcome tremendous hardships and tribulations in the fight for human rights. Winners in previous years were:-
1999: The people of Kampung Sungai Nipah.
2000: The Reformasi Movement.
2001: Save Our Schools Damansara and wives of ISA detainees (Joint winners).
2002: Police Watch & Human Rights Committee.
2003: The former plantation workers’ community of Ladang Braemar.
2004 The Kuala Kuang villagers and the workers of Euromedical Industries (Joint winners).
2005: The Temuan Orang Asli Community from Kampung Bukit Tampoi in Dengkil.
2006: the Chin Refugee Committee and the Bukit Jelutong plantation community (Joint winners).
2007: The Coalition against Healthcare Privatisation and the residents of Kampung Sungai Terentang, Rawang (Joint winners).
2008: The Penan community of Ulu Baram, Sarawak and the Hindu Rights Action Force (HINDRAF) (Joint winners).
2009: Gerakan Mansuhkan ISA (GMI).
2010: Sg. Rinching Action Committee.
The guidelines are listed as below:-
- Only communities or groupings of people are eligible for nominations. Nomination of an individual will not be accepted.
- Nominations of family members of the SUARAM secretariat and staff will not be accepted.
- Nominations will be received from any party, be it from individuals or organizations.
- The nominating party is required to complete the Nomination Form in the languages of English, Malay, Chinese or Tamil.
- Supporting Documentation is to be in the languages of English, Malay, Chinese and/or Tamil. These can be photographs, videos, newspaper clippings, newsletter etc.
- The Nomination Form is to be sent with supporting documentation to SUARAM, via fax, email and/or postal mail.
3. CLOSING DATE
- Nominations will be closed on 16 November 2011.
4. CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Community or group of people which has struggled persistently and fearlessly in defending their rights, justice and dignity against oppression.
- Organization and leadership of the people which has empowered and activated their people in the process of struggle and to continue in their efforts to promote and protect human rights.
- Preference will be given to those who have made an impact in the current year.
5. SELECTION AND ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNER
- A panel of judges comprising individuals who have been involved in human rights work in the country will select the award winner.
- The winner will be announced 8 December, 2011 at Kuala Lumpur. All nominees are required to be present at the ceremony (Venue TBD).
6. PRIZE FOR AWARD WINNER
- The winner will receive a prize money of RM2,000.00 and a specially-commissioned glass trophy designed by renowned artist Wong Hoy Cheong.
For further enquiries, please contact: Maisarah
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +603-7784 3525 / 7783 5724
Fax: +603 7784 3526
Please download the official nominee form: