SUARAM lauds release of three EO detainees

 

Suaram lauds release of three EO detainees

G Vinod | March 6, 2012

Home Ministry also urged to immediately free all those currently detained under the Emergency Ordinance.

PETALING JAYA: Suaram welcomed the Home Ministry’s decision today to release three youths who were detained under the draconian Emergency Ordinance (EO) last year.

Suaram’s executive director E Nalini said the youths, from Selayang, should not have been detained in the first place as the police failed to prove they were involved in criminal activities.

“The youths maintained the allegations against them were trumped up, having been used as scapegoats to ‘solve’ a string of petty motorcycle thefts crimes in their area,” said Nalini.

In March last year, police detained Muhamad Arif Abu Samah, Mohamed Ramadan Muhamed Ali and Mohamed Rafe Mohamed Ali for allegedly being involved in a motorcyle theft racket.

Subsequently, the trio were detained under the EO after having being taken for a “roadshow” for about two months. The trio had alleged that the police had tortured them during detention.

Nalini also urged the government to free all those arrested under the EO as Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak had lifted emergency proclamations, through an act of Parliament, late last year.

“Although the EO will only lapse in May, the police should stop detaining anyone under the arbitrary law. Those currently held under EO should be charged in court or released,” said Nalini.

She added that the the government should not enact anymore laws that allow detention without trial as it was a gross violation of human rights.

“It flies in the face of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948 and our own Federal Constitution which guarantees a citizen’s security and right to a fair trial,” she said.

Also read:

‘Detention without trial must end now’

Court delays leave application hearing of EO trio

Posted in From The Media

SUARAM

Subscribe to our mailing list for the latest news

* indicates required